Royal jelly is a thick, milky substance produced by worker bees to feed the queen bee. The
worker bees mix honey and bee pollen with enzymes in the glands of their throats to produce
Where is it found?
Royal jelly is available in liquid form (usually in glass vials), tablets, and
Royal jelly has been used
in connection with the following condition (refer to it for complete
Who is likely to be deficient?
Because royal jelly is not an essential nutrient, deficiencies do not occur.
How much is usually taken?
Royal jelly in the amount of 50–100 mg per day has been used in most of the studies
on cholesterol lowering.
Are there any side effects or interactions?
Allergic reactions are the most common side effect. Allergic reactions from oral intake of
royal jelly can range from very mild (e.g., mild gastrointestinal upset) to more severe
reactions, including asthma, anaphylaxis
(shock), intestinal bleeding, and even death in people who are extremely allergic to bee
products.1 2 3 People who are allergic to bee pollen, honey,
or conifer and poplar trees should not use royal jelly orally. Topical use of royal jelly has
been reported to cause skin irritations in some people.4
At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions
with royal jelly.
1. Thien FCK, Leung R, Baldo BA, et al. Asthma and anaphylaxis induced by
royal jelly. Clin Exp Allergy 1996;26:216–22.
2. Leung R, Ho A, Chan J, et al. Royal jelly consumption and
hypersensitivity in the community. Clin Exp Allergy 1997;27:333–6.
3. Yonei Y, Shibagaki K, Tsukada N, et al. Case report: haemorrhagic
colitis associated with royal jelly intake. J Gastroenterol Hepatol
4. Takahashi M, Matsuo I, Ohkido M. Contact dermatitis due to honeybee
royal jelly. Contact Dermatitis 1983;9:452–5.